- Duration: 3 days (Day 1 : Karasawa, Day2 : Oku Hotaka, Day3 : Nichi Hotaka )
- Distance: 24 km
- Elevation: 2,300 m
- Activity level: Strenuous, Rocky scrambling
- Start: Kamikochi bus station
- Finish: Sinhotaka Onsen bus station
- Oku Hotaka 3,190m / 10,465 ft
- Kita Hotaka : 3,106 ｍ / 10,190 ft
- Both Nihon Hyaku Mei Zan (100 Famous mountains)
Begin hike or climb at the renowned Kamikochi（上高地） which means the place gods descend (‘Kami’ is ‘god’).
To get Kamikochi Climb Japan’ description is helpful.
The start point of this itinerary is Kamikōchi (上高地) in the North Alps (北アルプス). If travelling by train from Tokyo (東京) or Shinjuku (新宿), take a Super Azusa limited express train on the Chuō Line (中央線) out to Matsumoto (松本) station. From there you need to change to the Alpico Line for a 30-minute train ride to Shinshimashima (新島々). The final leg of the journey is a bus ride of about an hour from outside the train station at Shinshimashima to the alpine village of Kamikōchi, nestled at the foot of the Hotaka range in the North Alps.
I use the highway bus to get there, it arrives at 6:30 am at Kamikochi bus station.
After 3-5 hours of hiking, there is first camp site Karasawa cirque（涸沢）.